Sunday, June 04, 2006

OK - LAST PACK OUT OF ENGLAND


I think we can safely say (for now) that this is our last packing session coming out of England. This is our least favorite thing to do as Robert's face clearly demonstrates! Hummm, thinking about the number of times we have packed in the last two years ....what would be your guess? Four, six? The surprising winning total is 17! That is totally incredible. Now you understand why this is our least favorite thing to do.

I'm beginning to think when we leave Mercy Ships we should start a "Packing Ministry". Maybe we could offer written instructions on what missionaries should take and not take, how to simplify their lives by just giving it all away and carry a toothbrush in your back pocket.

As we leave England we think back on some of the work we have accomplished while here. Robert, in my opinion, is the best welder I've known. Not that I've known a lot but I know he takes pride in every single weld he does and strives for excellence in everything he does. Many of you asked for more welding pictures so here they are!

As for me - - I've been concentrating on inventories, new inventory software that needs all our data input, staffing both ships, designing web information for the Africa Mercy intranet, developing the library systems, budgets and a few odds and ends in the middle of that. I went aboard our last day at work and took a picture inside the library for you. We have shelves in half of the library - - now we just need funding to finish out the shelving and furniture requirements. The library will be able to hold about 4,000 books, 400 VHS and DVDs. I hope to also have a children's corner decorated with overstuffed animal bean bag chairs (alligators, lady bugs, etc). Things like that will take time and the first thing I must concentrate on is establishing and supplying each area so that they can function and give it a good solid foundation.

This may not mean anything to most of you but family will understand - - I threw a "Pig Party" this week. These roasted pig sandwiches have become legendary here amongst my friends. I've been told I should set up shop because the Brits would love them. It is an old family recipe that comes out of the hills of Arkansas. We never suspected anyone else would like them and it was quit by accident that anyone was able to pry even one sandwich out of my greedy little hands to have a bite. Robert and I were making them for ourselves one Sunday when we thought all our roommates would be gone all day. Just as the pig came out of the oven 3 hungry boys (men really - - but when you're my age most people are boys) came through the door with pitiful faces. How can you refuse but to offer them some. The only stipulation I made was IF they didn't like them they were not to gag them down but give it right back because Robert and I would certainly eat them. Fortunately and unfortunately, they loved them and it became a house favorite. Then they started spreading the word to their friends and on pig night people just kept dropping by around dinner. Here is our last Pig Party.

Well precious friends and family - this will be the last communication for a little while as we leave here on Wednesday Morning (June 7). We will make it to the Anastasis that night but will take a few days to get our bearings and access to computer again. AND GUESS WHAT? We get to make pack # 18 after we get on board because we are going into a temporary cabin until our cabin is ready and may take 2-3 weeks. I thought I'd leave you with a parting Leadership Protrait that will be part of the Anastasis history. This along with my professional bio will hang in the lobby of the ship for people to get to know leadership. I only had a day's notice so Daniel and I ran outside in front of a bush - Daniel's a great phtographer, I only wish I had more to give him to work with.

PRAYER POINTS

  • Morale and direction for Mercy Ship crew staying to finish Africa Mercy
  • Wisdom, compassion, and quick study for those of us joining existing Anastasis crew as they prepare to leave shortly after our arrival
  • Cohesiveness for Crew Services - attitude of excellence with a servant's heart
  • Protection over luggage and a smooth arrival in Ghana
  • To pass through customs quickly and without hassle
  • Weight of baggage within limits - we only get 88 lbs each.

Thank you - talk with you again as soon as we get established.

Blessings - Susan and Robert

1 Comments:

Blogger Alberta Wray said...

Susan - I finally found one of you who are posting CURRENT information!! Thanks - makes me feel like I am a 'bit' with y'all. We sure do miss each of you here on the Africa Mercy. Can't wait for us all to be together again!! love, Alberta

3:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home