Sunday, October 22, 2006

SUFFERING FOR THE LORD

What fool said serving God has to be hard and miserable? We are so grateful that on occasion (albeit not often enough) we get to take a rest bit from the responsibilities and duties we have on the ship. Robert & I (and 13 of our other friends) hired a mini bus and drove 6 hours west to Cape Coast. We stayed in an absolutely gorgeous resort. Ate in an open-air restaurant right on the ocean, slept, ate, slept, ate, slept (you get the pattern). In fact, this was the first time we have done this in about 6 months and unfortunately it was for only 2 days. When our time was done we realized we really needed about a week to recover but this will do for now.
There was a 9-hole golf course that 4 of our friends frequented frequently. I dare say they have never had such odd hazards as these on such a small course. First the goats (which had been grazing on the tennis courts), then the horses, next came the 3 little pigs and finally the biggest, baddest hazard – the croc You would have thunk that the croc would have been the baddest hazard, however, it was actually one of the horses that took a chunk out of Glen’s chest. Ouch! But being the missionary trooper that he is, he struggled back to his feet and played another 9 holes. Glen’s my hero!

We also had an opportunity to go to the local rain forest, walk straight up a hill about a mile (did I say opportunity?- - I mean torture) to transverse a canopy walk 100 feet off the ground in the tree tops on a rope bridge. It was beautiful if you dared to look down. Then of course there was Robert! Getting behind me and stomping around making the stupid thing sway and bounce. NOT FUNNY! Once it was over I was so glad I did it but there were times I seriously had to question my sanity for attempting this. I have to say the funniest part of that trip was the guide that came back for me because I had decided I couldn’t continue to climb that dumb mountain anymore and told Robert to go on without me. He was so sweet, telling me I was so close, not to give up, holding my hand, pulling when necessary. So kind, so thoughtful - - until he said “this is why I don’t get fat”! But the stranger thing is that he really meant that as a compliment.

We had the awesome privilege of going to Elimena Castle where they imprisoned the slaves before sending them on the slave ships around the world. It was a very sobering and somber tour. To see the cramped, dark, damp, non-ventilated places they would pack 150 people at a time into and stand there in the dark imagining the horrors they faced was almost surreal. African and non-African alike standing side by side looking at the neck chains and shackles used to control the prisoners brought tears to all. The Africans knew their ancestor’s part in the capturing and trading of tribal enemies to the whites and the whites knew their ancestor’s part in the animal-like treatment they inflicted. No one left untouched. The statement made by the tour guide that struck and stuck with me was as we were standing in the “church” there inside the castle. He said “It was obvious that God only lived within these four walls (church) because once the men left this place they proceeded to the female prisons to abuse the women”. It was a hard statement to hear but one that was even harder to process through.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home