Monday, April 02, 2007

FAVORITE WAY TO SPEND A SATURDAY


There is nothing better than heading out to spend the day at an orphanage with friends. Robert and I and about 6 other friends have left our heart at the Christian Orphanage and Agricultural Center. We leave out every Saturday around 10am with little more than ideas, anticipation and excitement to spend that day with children and young boys and girls.

On the way out last Saturday we pulled the LandRover over at the river to purchase fish for the home. We were bombarded by young men trying to sell us their catch for the day - - boy did the car stink of fish. We finally made our selection of 2 Large fish that were about 24” long and maybe 10 lbs each. When we arrived at the home the kids started squealing about the fish and took it directly to the kitchen. We were told they will eat on those for 2 days. Robert and I are now called Grandma and Grandpa Chocolate Fish…..I had told them my dad was Grandpa Chocolate to my boys and I am Grandma Chocolate to my granddaughter, Tori because we love chocolate and make sure they get it as often as they need it (or don’t need it). The older boys have been calling me Grandma Chocolate for sometime now but when I brought the fish they just attached it to the end. That’s how we got the name. I LIKE IT - - I bet no one else has that distinction.

I took a lot of yarn and 4 sets of knitting needles out one afternoon and taught knitting. One girl was a lefty which makes it very difficult to teach as they don’t only switch hands but turn it inside out. My pea-brain could not get my head around the difference. When I looked back she was crocheting with a knitting needle! She was having fun. In our discussions I found out she is in the third grade and struggles to read. They have labeled her stupid. The difference is that she is about my height and must be around 12-14 years old. Girls are not invested in as heavily as boys are. But you know how good God is? We had with us a Reading expert that has taken on as a personal project teaching literacy to about 6 of the older children that are far behind in reading. My friend, Pam, loves doing bible studies and has found her niche there. Robert and I have been drawn to the plight of getting schooling for the older boys and girls. We will be visiting the school that is nearby to check out the cost, payment schedules and seeing how we can monitor their progress in school. We have also very interested in their agricultural program. They grow cassava (tubar potato-like vegetable), watermelon, hot peppers, cabbage, garlic eggs (looks like an egg, tastes like garlic), and carrots. They are going to start a snail farm shortly. Snail is a great source of protein here. The snails get quite large. They have a lot of chickens as they are building up their stock so they can start an egg production farm. They really try to help themselves and have a clear vision of how they need to get there. The finances are ALWAYS the problem here. Money doesn’t solve every problem, but it’s easier to invest money where the people themselves are trying to make a difference and think into the future.

We did take off one Saturday to go on a really amazing trip. Thirty-eight crew members, two LandRovers, a tent and lots of food headed out for the rail yard next to the ship. There we drove the Landrovers onto a flatbed railcar, strapped them down and then hung on for the 2.5 hour trip into the north country. We will NEVER get to ride a train in manner in the States. People sitting on coolers, camping chairs and on top of the LandRovers on the flatbed, no railings at 45mph! At first I was a little uncomfortable because I was sitting on the edge, sharing the cooler with Robert, hanging onto the cooler handle to keep from falling off. Hey - - I just got it! Why wasn’t Robert on the outside???? Just kidding, he offered but I was too afraid to move while the train was moving so I just hung on for dear life. Our destination was Bong Mines, an old iron ore quarry that was now filled with water. It was a beautiful restful 4 hours, cliff diving, swimming, skin burning, eating then another 2.5 hours back on the train. I really enjoyed sitting in a camping chair on the way back waving for 2.5 straight hours to the little naked kids that came running out of the bush to see the train. Someone said he was reminded of Queen Elizabeth waving to her subjects with such class and style. Yeah, THAT’S ME ALRIGHT!

The Engineering Department goes out weekly to the Monrovian Water Treatment plant to assist them where they can. Water has not been fully restored but they are on the right path. The Treatment plant is in very bad shape. Robert went out to weld on one of the water tanks and said the metal was so thin it was hard to weld. The tower had a lot of patches from where they had to plug up bullet and mortar holes. Our Engineers have gotten personally involved in this project because this is the source of the ship’s water and it is critical to have a good source.

I pray that this Easter season will be a joyous one for each of you as you remember our Lord and his glorious sacrifice for you and me. This is the time of the year I most remember how much God loves me - - I hope you know how much He loves you too.

FOR MORE PICTURES CLICK HERE: http://www.dropshots.com/day.php?userid=92780&cdate=20070328

AND HERE:

http://www.dropshots.com/day.php?userid=92780&cdate=20070402

Blessings, Grace and Mercy,
Robert & Susan Blanchard
Monrovia, Liberia, West Africa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home